top of page


Your Universal Credit (UC) payment takes into account your circumstances including where you live and what it costs.

If you are a tenant, you may be eligible for housing element for rent costs and some service charges but UC won't always cover your full rent. The housing element is part of your UC payment and you are responsible for ensuring that your full rent is paid – including any shortfall. If you have a valid tenancy agreement, are liable for rent payments and are not living in exempt accommodation, your UC claim should include the housing element, even if you work fulltime or haven't previously been eligible for Housing Benefit.

Find out more about:

Reporting change of circumstances
It is your responsibility to report a change of circumstances to UC, including where you live and what it costs as well as who lives with you. This may affect the amount of UC you are due so it is important to report any changes immediately.

bottom of page